Back to School Tips for Kids Ages 10 to 14 years old
by Melody Shuman
- You need 8 hours of REM sleep each night. To do so, make sure that you do not eat anything hearty within 1 hour before going to bed, do not exercise within 1 hour before going to bed, and avoid playing video games, working on the computer, or watching television for over 1 hour right before going to bed.
- Eat right. Avoid fast-food. You need to eat all 3 meals per day to maintain energy.
- Don’t rush through your homework. The assignments that you do at home are meant to make you smarter. If you rush through them, then you are not learning.
- Treat others the way you want to be treated. If someone threatens you, make sure you tell an adult. If someone teases you, learn how to respond with humor.
- Be alert at all times. If you are walking home from school alone or with a friend make sure you watch out of potentially dangerous encounters. Always let your parents know where you are and when you plan on being home.